Oakland Christian School engages students in a rigorous and relevant education that builds Christ-centered relationships and prepares students to fulfill their unique God-given purpose in our shared world.
Oakland Christian School is a distinctively Christian learning community that values a biblical worldview and is committed to the highest academic standards. OCS asks its Association (students, families, faculty and staff) to embrace seven core values:
God’s Word as Truth
II Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness.”
- We believe in the sovereignty of God and will integrate Biblical Truth in all subject areas.
- We employ and develop faculty and staff whose lifestyle models Christian discipleship and a commitment to the spiritual formation of students.
- The OCS Association will elect members of the School Board whose lifestyle models Christian discipleship and who demonstrate a commitment to Christian education.
- We will encourage and require local church involvement for all school families.
Rigorous, Relevant, and Relational Academics
Proverbs 23:23 “Buy the truth and do not sell it — wisdom, instruction, and insight as well.”
- We prepare students to fulfill their God-given purpose in our shared world by delivering quality teaching, Christian modeling, leadership and service opportunities, and extracurricular activities.
- We are committed to continual improvement in academic instruction and will equip quality faculty and staff with ongoing professional development.
- Our curriculum includes clear learning goals and high expectations that are measurable and clearly communicated to all students.
- Academic rigor is intended to honor God and inspire people, thereby preparing students to reach their highest potential.
Community that Exemplifies Love and Grace
Philippians 1:9-11 “And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.”
- The OCS Association seeks to clothe itself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another as we have been forgiven.
- We encourage each other to apply the love of Christ in our daily lives.
- In matters of discipline we seek justice, mercy, and restoration.
- Our teachers and students engage relationally to motivate each other to love and good deeds.
Psalm 139:13, 14 “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
- Educators strive to prepare each student to find and fulfill God’s purpose for them.
- OCS recognizes all are created in God’s image, with value and purpose, with diversity, knowing we can learn from and love all people.
- As God loved us, so we show love and grace to others through kindness, forgiveness, encouragement, and caring.
- Each teacher will be encouraged to use their individual strengths and talents to make their classroom a unique and inspiring center for learning.
Integrity in Financial Stewardship
Proverbs 27:23,24 “Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds; for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations.”
- OCS is committed to the management of resources entrusted to us to offer the highest quality
Christian education, providing greatest value for parent investment.
- We commit to continual growth and proper compensation of our employees.
- We will strategically upgrade our programs and curriculum through research and evaluation.
- We are accountable internally and externally to operate within a reasonable budget and strive to maintain highest integrity and stewardship.
Deut. 6:6-8 “These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.”
- We desire that families model Jesus’ passion to love, live, and lead.
- The OCS Association offers support, acceptance, and charity to our families.
- Our community desires to make learning and understanding a lifelong commitment.
- We recognize the power of prayer in our relationship with God and with each other.
Learning through Qualified, Christian Instruction
Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- OCS clarifies and expands its educational vision through relevant learning and inspiring creativity.
- Instruction is focused on the energies and talents of the students through the discerning eye and perceptive heart of the teacher.
- OCS objectively seeks intelligence and wisdom through learning valuable lessons and finding truth.
- Teachers will strive to increase each student’s level of ability to reach or exceed the individual and organizational goals and objectives.
Christian Philosophy of Education
Oakland Christian School views Christian education as the process of instructing and learning in an atmosphere where God and His written Word are the highest authority. We intend to challenge and motivate students to find their highest potential in spiritual, academic, social, and physical growth. Believing that all truth is God's truth, we strive to integrate the student's learning experience with a Bible-centered worldview, enabling the student to realize a life of purpose that is beneficial to people and glorifying to God.
Proverbs 4:13 “Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her for she is your life.”
For academic and intellectual growth, we desire that each student:
- Recognize God as Creator and integrate His Word into all learning
- Strive to achieve individual potential with passion for lifelong learning
- Use informational resources and practices to research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions
- Work collaboratively, supporting individual and group learning, using technology and digital media
- Use information to create insights and expression through the application of knowledge in various disciplines
For physical growth, we desire that each student:
- Develop motor skills for precise and accurate use of the body’s senses and functions as an image bearer of God
- Develop healthy habits that lead to lifelong physical fitness
- Strive for a godly sense of worth and achievement in performance opportunities and athletic activities
- Display a mental, physical, and emotional readiness to react and respond
For social and emotional growth, we desire that each student:
- Recognize personal uniqueness while respecting the uniqueness of others
- Develop Christ-honoring freedom of thought, expression, and emotional balance
- Act responsibly in handling time and material possessions
- Develop attitudes and skills needed to establish God-honoring relationships
For spiritual and moral growth, we desire that each student:
- Grow in a personal relationship with the Savior Jesus Christ
- Respect and understand God and His inspired Word
- Demonstrate Christian service by caring genuinely for the needs of others
- Develop a moral and ethical framework for decision making
Statement of Faith
- WE BELIEVE the Bible to be verbally inspired in its original form, the only infallible authoritative Word of God (II Timothy 3:16-17, II Peter 1:20-21).
- WE BELIEVE that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19).
- WE BELIEVE in the Deity of Christ, (John 1:1-14, John 14:9, Colossians 1:15-17); in His conception by the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35); in His virgin birth (Matthew 1:18-25); in His sinless life (II Corinthians 5:21); in His miraculous works (John 11:47); in His substitutionary death through His shed blood (I Peter 2:24); in His literal, bodily resurrection (John 20:20-29); in His bodily ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19, I Timothy 2:5); in His bodily return (Acts 1:11, Revelation 20:1-9, Matthew 24:26, I Thessalonians 4:13-17); and in establishment of Christ’s final consummated kingdom (Revelation 21).
- WE BELIEVE that man was created in the image and likeness of God, but through Adam, man has inherited a sinful nature and is unable in his own power to remedy his lost condition (Jeremiah 17:9, Romans 3:23); and in salvation by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ wholly apart from works. (Ephesians 2:8-10, John 3:3-7, John 1:12-13, Titus 3:5-7); the evidence of which is works of righteousness.
- WE BELIEVE that all who receive, by faith, the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Savior are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God (John 3:5, 15; Romans 3:21-30; Galatians 4:4-7).
- WE BELIEVE in the personality of the Holy Spirit and in His present ministry of conviction, regeneration, indwelling, enlightening, and guiding (John 17:7-11, John 3:5, I Corinthians 6:19, John 14:26, John 16:13).
- WE BELIEVE in the resurrection of both the believer and the unbeliever; they that believe unto the resurrection of life (John 5:28-29, I Corinthians 15:12-58).
- WE BELIEVE in the spiritual unity of all believers in Christ (John 17:11, Ephesians 4:13)