Students at Oakland Christian School have the opportunity to earn a Global Seal of Biliteracy and a Michigan Seal of Biliteracy on their OCS Diploma.
What is the Michigan Seal of Biliteracy?
The Michigan Seal of Biliteracy™ has been created to recognize high school graduates who exhibit language proficiency in English and at least one additional world language. The Seal may be awarded to any student receiving a high school diploma, a high school certificate of completion or a high school equivalency certificate and who has demonstrated Intermediate High proficiency on acceptable world language assessments.
What is the Global Seal of Biliteracy?
The Global Seal of Biliteracy™ is a credential that celebrates language skills and expands future opportunities for its recipients. A uniform standard is used to empower our awardees to be a valuable asset in multilingual environments. The Global Seal of Biliteracy enables recipients to showcase their language skills to any school or employer across state lines and national borders, with a unique serial-numbered document. Students can be awarded a functional, working, or professional fluency.
How Do Students Qualify?
- Meet graduation requirements
- Demonstrate Intermediate High proficiency on a world language assessment
- Students can earn one or both of these seals depending on their test score
What are the Benefits?
- Provide potential future employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- Provide colleges and universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants for attainment of high level skills in multiple languages
- Prepare students with 21st century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society